Waste Management is committed to protecting human health and the environment. This commitment is a cornerstone of all that we do, reflected in the services we provide to customers, the design and operation of our facilities, the conditions under which employees work, and our interactions with the communities where we live and do business. We are responsible stewards of the environment and protect the health and well being of our employees and neighbors. The following principals are applicable to company operations worldwide:
- Protection: We will conduct all operations in a manner that protects the environment and our employees, neighbors, and customers. We will proactively work to implement procedures and programs to prevent pollution.
- Compliance: We will comply with all legal requirements, and will proactively implement programs and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Conservation: We will practice and promote the conservation of nature and the earth’s energy resources.
Modern Landfill Design
The science of landfill construction has progressed remarkably from the days when waste was deposited in open, unlined “dumps.” Today, modern landfills like High Acres are carefully designed to contain waste and protect the environmental integrity of the surrounding area – including the air, water and soil. Our landfill incorporates advanced design features, including multi-layer liner construction, gas extraction and leachate removal systems.
In accordance with the NYSDEC Part 360 permit, High Acres Landfill monitors groundwater, surface water and the air at the facility.
- Groundwater monitoring is completed quarterly through a network of perimeter monitoring wells
- Landfill gas is monitored in accordance with the Title V permit
- Leachate discharged to the sewer is also monitored monthly
- Stormwater is sampled and analyzed annually
In accordance with High Acres NYSDEC Permit Number 8, High Acres is required to maintain a sum of money for funding environmental compliance activities related to the construction and operation of the landfill.
A full-time on-site monitor is assigned to High Acres Landfill. Duties include the following:
- Observation of the construction and operation at the landfill to ensure that it is in accordance with the Part 360 Permit, approved engineering plans and reports and applicable regulations
- Visual inspection of the incoming waste as needed
- providing guidance to the landfill personnel on operational procedures that work successfully at other landfills
- Monitoring the site on a daily basis